3.20.2008

Surprise

Just a regular cake mix
Ready for the oven
Yup - there done
Now the fun begins
Looks like stiff peaks to me
Be sure to put enough in the middle
Yummy!
This resembles my son's hair at times.....


My father-in-law celebrates his birthday on St. Patrick's day. And this year he happened to be in Puerto Rico. So I decided to surprise him on Wednesday evening with a cake sitting on his counter top when he got home...... He was definitely surprised and much appreciated! My husband's family started this tradition many, many years ago. I believe Kevin's grandmother use to make it for his dad when he was a little boy. I do remember Saralee telling me that Kent use to always say (I think only in the beginning) that it never tasted like the way his mom made it. I've had both Kevin & Kent tell me that mine doesn't taste like Saralee's. I'm okay with that - I'm using her exact recipe - and they never let a morsel go to waste...... It's been a few years since they've said that. But I have to tell you the way these men act over this cake - you instantly see 40 years shaved off their age. And the manipulation they use to get the most cake. They will fill your dinner plate with seconds and thirds if it means you won't have a slice of cake after dinner. It's really hilarious. My husband will break into song when he sees the cake - singing the Bill Cosby song "(Dad) Mom is great, give me some chocolate cake". I'm not quite as generous with my cake making - Kevin's parents when hosting the birthday child would make two cakes - one for the celebrant only and one for the guests! I'd rather make it and give it away. For me it's really only good on the first day. Yummy - Enjoy!
Seven Minute Frosting (I make 1.5 times) enough to frost 2 9-inch cakes
1 1/2 cups sugar (2 1/4)
1/3 cup cold water (1/2)
2 egg whites (3)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (1/4 + 1/8)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. In the top of a double boiler combine sugar, cold water, egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
2. Place over boiling water (upper pan should not touch water), Cook, beating constantly with the electric mixer on high speed about 7 minutes or till frosting forms stiff peaks. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Beat 2 to 3 minutes more or till it reaches spreading consistency.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

MMMMMMMmmmmm...

hrtyty said...

Louis also makes the massive Montsouris GM packsack for those who pauperization a colossal bag, Louis Vuitton but do not reparation for the edge bags or totes. Asics Tiger With this portion bag you can diffuse rightful almost anything that could fit in a handbag. Mbt Shoes This bag is seen a lot with college students. It is big enough for a few of their smaller books and dwarfish enough to not get in the way.