2.12.2008

Must or Dust


Standing here like soldiers
Priced at 31 cents - they have got to be old
Here you can see the varying ages - by price of course





Considering the fact that I have issues with germs - it's really surprising to me that I found these in my cupboard recently. The spice cupboard has never really been my source of attention - it's Kevin's really, he's the spicer in the family. Not to say that I don't use spices I really do, but only when it's called for! And I have to use a stool to reach anything above the first shelf anyway. So imagine my surprise when I started emptying the cupboard when I was cleaning and relining the shelves. Good heavens! One of the brown boxes has a date of Aug, 1980 on it. Clearly, the 31 cent boxes are from the 60's or possibly the 50's. Kevin's grandmother was a big time canner. A weekend project two weeks ago was cleaning out the basement - and boy was that a treat! There are still lots of treasures down there. But we did toss out a huge amount of glass jars (I shouldn't say toss out - we recycled them). Our basement has never been that clean - it's probably been decades since it has been that clean. It was a great source of accomplishment. I wish I could say the same for the boxes of cinnamon.......I'm having a hard time throwing them away now.........I must have other issues as well........ Now if you are worried about how old your spices are do a little reading here. You can also find lots of colorful ads for sale on ebay of your old spices. I'll keep working on tossing those boxes of old, very old cinnamon sticks - that no longer smell of cinnamon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a lot of cinnamon!

So, tell me more about this 'germ' issue? You don't appear to be phobic?